I just can’t stop using this gorgeous set that Hannah made! It’s just so pretty. This card uses just the single roses from her set. They are so simple to color quickly. Because Hannah drew in the details of the flower, all that really needs to be done is get some color on there!
The greeting I will be using is from my new stamp set, “A Very Merry Christmas”. I like how large the greetings are, because you can really fill a card front with them. The shape of the ‘Merry Christmas to You’ greeting really worked well for this oval design.
I Googled ‘Christmas roses’ to see what colors were available to me, and from what I could see, they are generally white with yellow-ish centers or pink with pale yellow-sh centers.
Above is a little closeup of the white flowers I painted. The watercolor that I used is the Gansai Tambai Kuretake watercolor pans. It is kind of tricky to paint white cardstock white, so you need to paint them a little off white. I mixed extremely watered down colors of green and gray to create a green-toned ‘off white’ color for my flowers. I built it up in some areas to create shadows, but left the majority of the petals very light. I painted the centers a more concentrated color of green and yellow, and added streaks going out from the base to add shadows. Piece of cake!
I had to make a pink version. I used a purple toned pink watercolor and created a variety of shades using more water and also grey watercolor. These took even less time than the white flowers, because all I really needed to do was paint some light and dark areas. I had no technique, as I am sure you maybe noticed. Just light and dark!
In the close-up, you can really see how the light areas add dimension to the flowers. I love that there is already enough detail drawn in to give these flowers the dimension I need. This really helps speed along the coloring process.
To assemble the card, I die cut a piece of Gina K. Designs Heavy Base Weight White with a 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ Lawn Fawn single stitched rectangle die, and then die cut an oval right out of the center to create a frame.
For some dimension, I dry embossed my ‘frame’ panel with a Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder. This really made the card pop.
I stamped my greeting right onto the front of my card base, using my ‘frame’ panel to line it up so I would know it was centered in between the oval space. The ink I used for my greeting is Gina K. Designs Black Onyx ink.
To adhere my main panel to my card base, I used a little foam tape to pop it up and really create that frame look.
I am really into Kraft lately, and am always wanting to pair my cards up with Kraft envelopes. I think Kraft will work with absolutely anything. 😍
I made a variation on this card by raising the main greeting rather than having it behind the frame.
I heat embossed the roses in white and watercolored the entire sheet with varying tones of pink. This type of watercoloring is so fast and simple, and also gives a nice colored border around the embossing when die-cut.
Thank you so much for stopping by! Let me know what you think in the comments. The products I used are linked below.